Saturday, February 19, 2011

The World is Flat?


"The world is flat."  Is this possible 500 years after Columbus sought to prove this to be false?  In Thomas Friedman's video lecture “The World is Flat,” I can confidently state that it is indeed.  Despite sharing the “room” with MIT students and faculty, I was able to easily follow Thomas Friedman’s argument as to how the world has been “leveled” as a playing field field through a variety of technology advances.  Having been raised in an era with rotary dial phones, no answering machine until after college (along with a microwave for a graduation present), and contemplating whether to invest in a cassette or an eight-track player for my first car (a Pinto), I have been aware and amazed at the advances in technology.  

Like many things that I do not understand, I always knew that there were “forces” guiding the evolution of technology and how it would be applied within our society.  What came as the biggest shock was how each advance, whether through the availability of the internet to the average consumer, communicating software systems, or the political revolutions around the world, was built on a preceding one.  Friedman successfully used logic to show how devices, systems, and imagination became the framework from which technology is built.  I initially viewed the title, “The World is Flat,” to signal a backward slide.  After all, Columbus’ adventures sought to prove that it was not.  Instead, we could say that the world has been “leveled” as in “a level playing field.”  It was soon clear that “level” meant “even” or equal access to advances in technology.  

As a visual learner, the help of the graphic organizer to outline the elements of change in technology and its application was invaluable.  With the use of this organizer, Friedman was able to clearly articulate to me how each technological advance built upon a prior one.  Iconic cues on the organizers not only helped me to allow for easier note taking, it also gave me a preview of what was to be discussed, as well as serving as a quick reference when reviewing the lecture a week later.  A simple image could replace several sentences of text, plus visual learners would have several anchors throughout the lecture.  This organizer also allows for a teacher to highlight what she feels a student should focus on.  Hearing the words while looking over the organizer I knew I would not miss an important point.  I felt more confident in being able to hear what was being discussed, and I was able to enjoy the experience of the lecture and the topic rather than worrying about whether or not I was able to capture every important topic. 
 
Now, on to the application of youtube.com as a lecture source:  I loved it.  Several times throughout the lecture I wanted to write down cues and details that would help me remember a particular point.  All I had to do was pause the lecture for a few seconds, and then I could continue fully focused on the lecture as it unfolded, rather than quickly finish writing a sentence and missing the next important point.  In the end, I felt confident with my note taking, knowing that I had plenty of time to write down what I felt was important, as well as knowing that it was logically organized.  With the graphic organizer and a carefully selected youtube.com lecture, who wouldn’t want to do homework?

1 comment:

  1. First off, we had a pinto with an 8 track player!
    You might enjoy reading the book sometime - http://www.amazon.com/World-Flat-3-0-History-Twenty-first/dp/0312425074 - he is very easy to read and you can chunk it.
    I am so glad you liked the organizer, now that I have learned abou them it has changed the way I teach. I love them to help keep me on track. I also love being able to pause which was always difficult to do in real life lectures.
    I am looking forward to readin more posts!

    ReplyDelete